She was born in August, something fortune tellers and even you might find auspicious.
My mother’s family is bursting with Augusts. Their first immigrant to the United States from Germany in 1850 is an August. Just this week I found his name of record on his death certificate to be Frederic Augustus Newport. The 1855 New York State census lists his answer to name as Augustus. Then in the New York City Directory of 1886, he’s the carpenter August Newport at 245 East 28th Street.
- His eldest son, that we know, is August. Family history says August accompanied his younger brother William and father Augustus to the United States in 1850. I have yet to find his name on the ship roster so either it’s missing, under a different name or he came on another ship. His only child, Cora, names her son Edward August, carrying on the tradition.
- William, Frederic Augustus’ second son and my 2nd great grandfather, names his first son, Albert Augustus and his first daughter, Frances Augusta. Albert Augustus has twin girls in 1900, Frances A. and Florence A. I haven’t discovered their middle names yet. Shall we guess?
- Edward Charles Augustus, the third son to immigrate, was a physician in Meriden, Connecticut who traveled extensively. The discovery of “Augustus” on his 1874 passport was a surprise find since he rarely used it later in life. E. C. has two sons who died very young with a middle initial of “A”. Is their middle name “August”? His daughter, born after their deaths, is named Augusta Albertine.
- The next son in line is August Otto which makes three “Augusts” among the five sons of Frederick Augustus, the original immigrant.
- Frederick Augustus’ fifth son, and final child, is Lawrence born in 1861. No middle name or surprise first name appears so far. He had no children that I can find.
That makes eight Augusts in the Frederic Augustus Newport legacy, possibly four more from the initials of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. No one has carried “August” forward in our generation or our children’s.
However, there is a Newport woman celebrating her 90th this August.